BBC Studios is the most awarded production company and the biggest independent producer in the UK. Its Documentary Unit is the home of high quality, thought-provoking and award-winning factual television.
The BBC Studios Documentary Unit focuses on reputational, access-driven documentaries, compelling human stories and constructed factual programming. Powerful storytelling is at the heart of what we do and this helps us take global audiences on gripping journeys underpinned by journalism viewers can trust.
We are looking for an Executive Producer to join the Documentary Unit. They will be responsible for playing a key role in the delivery and quality control of the department’s portfolio, with a particular focus on delivering retrospective boxset series.
We will only consider candidates with previous experience at Executive Producer level in the premium documentary sphere, so please do not apply if you do not have this experience.
The Executive Producer will join BBC Studios’ Documentary department for a fixed term period of one year. In this time they will lead two teams in delivering two retrospective boxset documentary series, ensuring that they achieve the highest creative and editorial standards, deliver on time and on budget, with adherence to BBC guidelines.
In this role, the Executive Producer needs to attract the best filmmaking talent on and off-screen and help set a culture where those people want to come and work.
Participating and collaborating across the division to ensure it continues to produce standout content for major broadcasters and platforms is key to this role, as well as maximising expertise across BBC Studios.
The role will call for exceptional management of a diverse team of people, encouraging the flow of ideas and open culture where teams can do their best work. The Executive Producer will be responsible for increasing diversity on and off-screen.
This role is about leadership and we expect our leaders to lead by example and create the best working environment for our teams to thrive, grow and do their best work, The Executive producer will be accountable for the health of the culture their teams feel every day.
Are you the right candidate?
The ideal candidate will be a highly experienced Executive Producer who can hit the ground running and will fulfil the following requirements:
- A strong track record of successfully leading highly complex projects with sensitive access whilst exercising a duty of care to staff, contributors and audiences
- A proven ability to manage more than one project at a time, prioritising delivering consistently to deadlines and reacting positively to changes and conflicting priorities
- They will be highly skilled in managing an edit through a complex sign off process, multiple stakeholders, and the ability to step in if necessary
- The ability to establish effective short and long term relationships with a wide range of people, talent, partners and agencies
- They will be skilled in establishing production teams with the right mix of skills and level of seniority for the project
- Extensive TV broadcast editorial experience at Executive Producer level, specifically across Documentary programming for major broadcasters and streamers including the BBC
- They will be an exceptional leader with extensive experience of leading and inspiring people across multiple teams in a multiplatform environment and an ability to demonstrate strong managerial skills and positive behaviours
- Proven experience in financial and budget planning / responsibility, working closely with production management teams to keep multiple complex shows within budget, along with a demonstrable ability to provide strong editorial judgement in a fast-moving environment
- Proven experience of delivering higher budget premium projects to Streamers
- Experience delivering retrospective boxsets and delivering multiple projects simultaneously
- Strong working relationships with commissioners
- Experience delivering series for the BBC
- Experience delivering series for streamers (eg Netflix, Apple, Sky and Amazon)
- Experience delivering projects that include dramatic visualisation
- Experience of making content for the US market
Contract – 12 Months Fixed Term Contract / Attachment
Band – F
Location – BBC TVC, London or BBC Roath Lock Studios, Cardiff
We are committed to having a diverse range of skills, experience and talent working on our programmes, and as such we’re keen for applicants from underrepresented groups to apply, which include those with a disability, those from ethnic minorities, lower socio economic groups, LGBTQ+ community and different backgrounds to ensure we are representative of all.