Bargain Hunt Researchers (x 2)
Contract type: 10 Month Fixed-Term Contract
Location: Cardiff/Caerdydd – Roath Lock
Start Date: January 2024 (date TBC)
We actively encourage applications from diverse and underrepresented backgrounds. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments or assistance with your application via the following email address: email@example.com
BBC Studios is a global creative powerhouse for the development, production and distribution of bold, British, content. We produce more than 2,500 hours of content per year, operate in 22 markets globally and generate revenue of £1.4bn, returning around £200m profit to BBC Public Service each year.
Factual Entertainment Productions produce a wide range of original, well-loved and highly acclaimed TV productions, such as Bargain Hunt, Weatherman Walking, DIY SOS, Antiques Roadshow and Countryfile.
Bargain Hunt is BBC1’s popular daytime antiques series. It has been one of the nation’s favourite TV shows for more than 20 years and is broadcast almost every day of the year, regularly attracting up to 2 million viewers. The Cardiff-based production team makes 96 new episodes of the programme each year, including specials. We film with presenters, experts and contributors at antiques fairs and auctions across the UK.
Bargain Hunt is looking for a confident and experienced factual television researcher who is comfortable working both independently and as part of a large, busy team. This role is based in Roath Lock, Cardiff with some flexibility i.e. hybrid working. The successful candidate will regularly go on location for filming and must be prepared to be away for up to 3 nights at a time. In general, normal office hours will apply, however the nature of the role means that a flexible approach to working time will be necessary.
- To suggest, develop and research interesting and original ideas suitable for a daytime factual entertainment television series
- To liaise confidently with contributors, experts and talent, where required
- To present ideas clearly, both in writing and verbally, to the director for feedback and review
- To suggest creative and entertaining filming treatments in keeping with editorial brief, using a wide range of sources, reference material and archive in-keeping with audience needs and expectations & adhering to BBC policies & guidelines
- To work closely with the director and other team members in order to film and produce engaging content for the show
- To set up and maintain information systems for optimal output
- Sourcing and clearing archive material for broadcasting and publishing
- Support the senior members of the production team in a wide variety of tasks, including technical/digital needs as required
- May be required to manage the workload of the runner and work experience team members, or equivalent
- To assist in ensuring that output complies with the BBC Health and Safety policy
Are you the right candidate?
- At least a year’s experience of working as a Researcher in Factual Entertainment TV production
- Experience of working with on-screen talent and contributors on busy location shoots
- A proven track record of finding original stories for broadcast, identifying engaging contributors and visually appropriate locations
- Evidence of working alongside directors to create entertaining TV content which is filmed to a tight schedule and on budget
- Demonstrate knowledge of how to source and clear affordable archive for programmes with worldwide distribution
- Excellent planning and organisational skills, with a track record of meeting tight deadlines in a fast turnaround environment
- Resilience and stamina to sustain performance when under pressure from a high volume of work and conflicting priorities