Banijay Kids and Family, the dedicated production, distribution, and sales division for children’s programming at Banijay, is a global leader in the children’s entertainment industry, producing a wide range of animation and live action series, digital content, and entertainment formats for children worldwide.
Banijay Kids and Family unites four production companies: Zodiak Kids and Family France, Zodiak Kids and Family Productions UK, Monello Productions, and Tiger Aspect Kids and Family – combining their expertise and creativity to nurture a broad range of upcoming productions and a catalogue of popular, original, and imaginative programming. Its distribution arm, Zodiak Kids and Family Distribution, represents over 2,200 hours of content, partnering with leading broadcasters and platforms globally.
With offices in Paris and London, Banijay Kids and Family is led by CEO Benoit Di Sabatino.
About this role
This role is responsible for managing the Legal & Business Affairs function across all development and production activities undertaken by two of the Banijay Kids & Family UK production companes: Zodiak Kids & Family Productions UK and Tiger Aspect Kids & Family.
- Drafting and negotiating agreements relating to all stages of the development, financing, production and delivery of scripted programming in the kids and/or family genres (live action and animation), including agreements with underlying rights owners, writers, key talent, development funding and commissioning broadcasters, financiers, co-producers and distributors
- Providing advice and full legal support to production teams throughout the course of production
- Liaising with applicable UK unions and guilds as necessary
- Liaising with and providing advice to other parts of Banijay Kids & Family and/or Banijay Group companies as required
- Managing the trademark portfolio for each production company
- Providing rights availability and clearance information to distributors of finished programmes
Knowledge & Skills
- Must have acted as lead or sole provider of legal and business affairs services to one or more producers of scripted television programming for at least 1 year.
- Must have solid and demonstrable knowledge of and experience of all of the following:
- Negotiating agreements with underlying rights owners, writer and key talent agents, broadcasters and financing partners for the development and production of scripted TV programming
- UK commissioning broadcaster terms of trade and standard agreements
- UK union/guild agreements
- Experience of working on both animation and live action productions an advantage
- Experience of negotiating with ex-UK talent, agents, broadcasters and financing partners an advantage
- Legally qualified or specialist experience gained through working for UK producers of scripted programming
Director of Legal and Business Affairs
Willing to consider a working schedule of 4 or 5 days per week. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles unless operational requirements prevent otherwise. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
30th November 2022